Each week, here at Osaka.com, we bring you a selection of some of the top stories about Osaka making the local and national news here in Japan. Sometimes it’s serious, sometimes it’s funny, but it’s always direct to you, from Osaka.
Table of Contents
Expo Welcomes 10 Millionth Visitor
As we reach the halfway point of the Osaka 2025 Expo’s 6 month run, the event reached a major visitor goal this week. On July 13th, the Expo welcomed it’s 10 millionth customer, since the event opened to the public in mid-April.
The announcement this week is a welcome boost to the event, which has faced a few “growing pains” during its initial run. However, with most of the initial “gremlins” now purged, the Expo continues to attract more visitors with each passing week. Despite this though, the recent, rather extreme, weather pattens ranging from heat waves to typhoons still pose a major challenge to Expo organizers and staff.
Expo Brings in New, Robust Measures to Counter Heatstroke Concerns
Heat Exhaustion and other related health complications remain a major concern for Expo organizers. Thankfully, it has also given some of the tech companies involved in Expo 2025 the chance to showcase their latest cooling gadgets.
One of these is Daikin Industries. Their “Ice Cool Spot” has proven to be a big hit with Expo visitors.
This rest area utilizes ice panels built within the walls. The inspiration for the design comes from ancient Japanese ice houses. The ambient temperature in the area is, on average, 5 degrees lower than the temperature outside.
The Ice Cool Spot also serves as the perfect showcase of the Expo’s commitment to renewal energy technology. Solar panels on the roof of the installation collect electrical energy during the day. This energy is then used to freeze the ice panels within the area overnight, ensuring a cool atmosphere when visitors arrive the next morning.
Additionally, a total of 60 air conditioners has been set up in and around the east and west gates. These will help visitors in the, admittedly still rather lengthy, queues to stay cool
Expo organizers still advise visitors to take their own precautions against the heat. A spokesperson said this week: “We still advise all visitors to bring their own hat, umbrella and plenty of fluids. Salt tablets are also a good idea.”
Osaka Expo Provides Backdrop for Crucial US Japan Negotiations
As we initially reported last week, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent will visit the Osaka Expo this weekend. With a 25% tariff on Japanese goods heading into the US set to come in from August 1st, Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba will meet Mr Bessent as part of a last-minute government charm offensive.
Ishiba made time for this meeting whilst the rest of his party continues to fight for every vote ahead of an Upper House Election on Sunday they are expected to lose.
This perhaps give an insight into just how vital the Japanese government consider the issue of facing off these tariffs.
On the American side of things however, there appears to be little movement from their current, hardline stance. President Donald Trump remains adamant that the Japanese tariffs, along with those being imposed on several other long term US allies, will go ahead as planned.
On Wednesday, The US President said, in response to a question about the Japanese negotiations: “”We’re negotiating with them. But I think probably we will live by the letter with Japan”.
In other words, the tariffs aren’t likely to be withdrawn or scaled back anytime soon.
And Finally…
Minions plan to take over Universal Studios Japan this summer!
The adorable little yellow characters were front and center this past weekend, as the Osaka theme park launched a new expansion to “Minion Park”.
The new ride: “Illumination’s Villain-Con Minion Blast” features characters from the animated movie series “Despicable Me” and “Minions.” It is an interactive experience, allowing visitors to shoot electric blasters at various targets as they move through the ride.
A good high score at the shooting game will see you invited to join the Supervillain collective known as “The Vicious 6”
Despite the competitive nature of the new feature, USJ staff emphasized that, like everything else in Minion Land, Villain-Con Minion Blast is suitable for all the family. The new area opened after an official ceremony on July 12th, with a whole cast of characters in attendance.
That’s all for now but be sure to check back again same time next week for another round of this week in Osaka!